22 September 2006

Mass Hysteria and Confusion: The UCT Grading System and You

Not to toot my own horn here, but I did get my history paper back this morning and the first class mark was sitting there for me to read in all its glory. Never in my life have I ever more ecstatic to receive a 77 on a paper.
That's right, a 77. Under South African grading, that's first class. In the U.S., that translates to an A+. This further proves my theory that the way to excel in college is to follow the following rubric:
1) Pick paper topics on incredibly esoteric topics that no one knows anything about (In this case, migrant labour on Natal and Louisiana sugar plantations in the period 1900-1920).
2) Do very little research
3) Write essentially a well-worded treatise about how there is no research on the subject
4) Receive your high marks.
Anyway this whole system is still hard to comprehend. In other news, you fail at 50. Except you don't fail, you just don't receive a "duly performed" certificate, or DP, which means you can't take the final. And then you fail. But that's not what I'm concentrating on this bright, beautiful Cape Town morning. At least not until I get my politics paper back. Oy...
Until then, I'm going to enjoy my 77, bronzing under the sun, reading 'Absurdistan' by Gary Shteyngart (Thanks, Christine!), and taking a lazy afternoon.

No comments: