06 September 2006

Brain Dead

I think I need a vacation. From my vacation. This can't possibly be a good situation. Luckily, I'm getting one starting in about 48 hours (ahem...see below) and that flight to an old colonial outpost in the middle of the desert cannot come fast enough. I spent the last hour or so here in Beattie lab staring at largely blank pages of "writing" about sociology. And that's for one of the two classes I actually enjoy. I have already written two papers in the last week and found out yesterday I may have done one of them incorrectly (though that's starting to look like miscommunication with the TAs more than anything else). I have had zero cultural experiences in the last two weeks here. Since Knysna, all we have done is work, and occasionally pop down to Obz or Claremont for a couple pops where I nearly pass out from being so overworked and overtired. We have, all of us, been wading through academic minutiae in our particular subjects. Spring has even sprung here and I can barely enjoy because I'm doing too much work.
Don't get me wrong, apart from "Third World Politics" (which I put in quotation marks and will continue to until we talk about the third world...or even politics) and the inadequacies of the library (another rant for another time) I'm still having a ball here. But didn't all my friends who went abroad do a lot more work on their tans than in a textbook, or go to museums or meet interesting local people and have interesting cultural experiences?
Oh well, like I said, in 48 hours I'll be in Namibia free from all of the stresses that international universities can bring. And right in the middle of all of the stresses being stared down by a lion who thinks I look tasty can bring.
I can handle that.

1 comment:

Christine said...

It's just midterm week, buddy. Hang tight, it'll all be over soon.