28 July 2006

Until the End of the World

As the African sun reached its winter apex this afternoon, I finished a vertical climb of 200 meters over the space of about a kilometer, and stood there marveling at the sight.

I looked out over a vast ocean as I caught my breath from the climb and realized that I had reached - literally - the end of the world.

I turned around, the Atlantic Ocean on my left, the Indian Ocean on my right, Cape Point Light in front of me and read the markers telling distances to suddenly farflung and nearby locales all over the world - 12000+km to New York, only about 6500km to the South Pole. Cape Point Light at the Cape of Good Hope is one of the most striking and raggedly beautiful places I have ever been. Reminiscent of the West of Ireland, the at once barren and lush landscape is almost exactly as one would expect it to be, a place where the mountains crash into the rolling seas and the immensity of the journey stands before you. I have come quite a long way from Cape Ann to the Cape of Good Hope, and my time here is just beginning. What new adventures await me? All I know tonight as I watch that same African sun set again over Table Mountain out my window (No, seriously, you're so jealous...) it's time to build back. I've gone to the edge and now I can concentrate on filling in the blanks on the road back.

---

Update on pictures, I'm still looking for a way to get some shots out to the wider internet beyond facebook, but I need an economical way to do it as I'm paying for internet by the megabyte here. I tried flickr yesterday, but that didn't really work and the blogger upload capacity is pretty small, so if you have any ideas, leave a comment and I'll try it out.

Totsiens.

No comments: